Thursday 17 January 2013

Of lip balms and eyeshadows




I only just noticed a new Tonymoly store in Market City (near esprit). They had a 40% off sale yesterday! I grabbed this really adorable "Petite Bunny Gloss Bar" in #1 juicy strawberry shade. I absolutely love lip products, especially when it comes to cute container designs.

petite bunny gloss bar
While I was still wandering around the store, I grabbed a bb cream that is supposed to do a great job at moisturising my face (I'll see about that).
luminous goddess aura BB cream
 I really liked the colour and packaging of this bb bottle, but that wasn't the reason why I chose it haha. The bottle descriptions say that is will: 1)moisturise (like all bb creams); 2) maximise the skin's radiance; 3) cover blemishes (main reason hwy I wanted this); 4) firm /smooth the skin. This product blends well with my skin tone and it is light when mixed with a small portion of my own daily moisturiser.

Anyways, I've been wanting to do a little comparison between different lipbalms, that I find have similar characteristics. Lately, the only lippy sticks I've been into are the lip butters or they partly contain balmy features. I have chosen to review these three in particular because they moisturise better than other lip balm/sticks and give your lips a soft velvety touch.
1) The before mentioned "petite bunny gloss bar" in "juice strawberry".
 The colour is quite light, it gives the lips a peachy glow that is noticeable. This stick is ideal for wearing to school or uni, if you wanted a light jelly-like colour. I quite like this gloss bar because it glides on smoothly and is quite lustrous, but not to a point where it starts to look oily. Did I mention that this stick has a light fruity scent? I rate this an 8/10.    
 2)Revlon "Colour Burst Lip Butter" in Sugar Frosting.

(second colour on arm)
The lip butter colour I chose was a bit too light for my liking. However, the most natural, if you did not want a big difference to your lip shade. This stick was by far the smoothest one out of the three. It looks quite nice as an outer coat to your matte lipstick. Or if worn alone it adds shine and a bit of sparkles to your lips. I would personally choose this lip butter for everyday use. It also has a nice sweet smell. The only downside is that the cover extends quite far down the tube, so it is a bit of a struggle to try to get the lid off. I'd rate this a 9/10 (if only I had chosen a slightly brighter colour).

3) Revlon "Just Bitten Kissable Balm" in "Darling Cherie" This lip balm is gives the boldest colour, relative the other balms. A gentle smear on the lips and there is a noticeable difference compared to your lip colour. The blunt end also makes the application quick and easy. The colour is not very lustrous, it is closer to a matte lipstick than the others. This balm is ideal for standing out a bit, but not as out there as bright pinks/reds.   I am not too fond of the minty smell though. I would rate this a 7/10.


Now for eyeshadows!
I have a small collection of neutral/copper palettes from a range of brands just because I really like brown hues on my eyes. In order from left to right: Face of Australia, Maybelline, Revlon and Rimmel.


1) Face of Australia-bronze palette: The colours were slightly intense, a tiny bit went a long way so it was slightly harder to blend. The powder did not come off this palette easily, I had to brush quite hard to get a little bit of it on the brush.I prefer if the colours were separated by walls, rather than having to be cautious not to dab into a different pigment every time I went for a different colour. I could only use small brushes for this palette. I didn't really like this one because all the brown colours have a red-ish undertone and there wasn't a clear distinction between the browns. This one has an inbuilt mirror on the back side. 5/10
Bronze Palette
2) Maybelline-Chai Latte (Modern Metallics): This one had instructions on the back showing you where to put the colours. This one is quite easy to use with four simple steps: base, lid, crease and liner. The base powder (i.e. the lightest shade) did not really show on my eyes. It might be because of my skin tone, it was actually quite hard to put some powder onto the brush. The rest of the colours worked fine. The end result was quite bronze and isn't something you would wear everyday if you were going for the more subtle look. This palette is ideal for outings at night or for parties I reckon. I would use this palette either without the bronze or  without the dark liner. 6/10


Chai Latte
3)Revlon-Coffee Bean (Colorstay 12 hour eye shadow): Coffee Bean colours are great for everyday wear! I really like how natural these colours are, especially the top two and bottom matte colours. The powder loosely clings to the palette, so I didn't have to brush hard it. It is really easy to blend and it looks great on my eyes. However, the top two colours are indistinguishable, I sometimes used the shadows from the second shade onwards because the top base colour made no difference. This powder did last quite long, I didn't have to reapp so that is good. I rate this an 8/10, quite satisfied with this one (:.
Coffee Bean
4) Rimmel-Smokey Brun (Glam' Eyes): I saved my favourite til last! I use this one daily because the colours are very nice! There are instructions on the back and they are quite simple too. Firstly, the colour on the left is really lovely it is a light, icy mocha colour that suits any eye colour as a base shadow ( I reckon). It works really well with the taupe opposite it. I did not have to brush hard onto the palette to transfer the powder, however, I had to brush the colours a few times over the eyes until the colour was apparent. Even though this one is the most lustrous palette, the light shades make it wearable for everyday work. I like how the brush provided had different sized brushes on each end so I don't have to fish around for one. Although you would have to reapply this on a hot day or after 4 hours. 7/10 (yes my favourite one is not the best quality one boohoo).
Smokey Brun


So that is all for today folks! ^ ^ 

3 comments:

  1. love love love revlon's just bitten balms! they're amazeballs! <3 :)
    and omg tonymoly saleeeee! love great buys ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to try Revlon's just bitten lip stains, but I can't decide which colour to get (get them all?!). You've picked a really love pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! It is a lovely pink/mauve colour. I would recommend a nice soft pink, which is the next colour up called "Cherish(015)".

      Delete