Tuesday 29 January 2013

Simple coloured eyeliner trick!

Remember those times when you wanted to go with a new look for the day... then you eventually just stuck to the usual brown/nude eyeshadows, or pale colour palettes. Well I only recently started to glam up more with very bright eye make-up. I usually always wear a soft mocha brown eyeshadow to work or the mall. However, I find that it's a bit bland for the beautiful, big city! So I use blue/turquoise eyeliners for eyeshadows and it goes on quite smoothly. The look is inspired by the colours of a peacock (yes, that does sound a bit strange), but I really love the way "kingfisher" blues complement green tones!
I randomly started to use these eyeliners because I never really used blue eye-anything, I just steered clear of any blue on my eyes because I was under the misconception that Asian eyes don't look good with blue :/ . I guess I never really played around with different styles and shading in the blue range. 

Well.. here is the look:
what do you think? 

I hope my eye didn't scare you, it certainly gave me a shock lol!
 (Unfortunately these photos were taken with my terrible phone camera, sorry for the bad quality!)  
I used:
BYS Kohl eyeliner in Ocean Green, Jordana Kajal Kohl eyeliner in  Turquoise

Ocean Green (top), Turquoise (bottom)
BYS Animal Instincts Palette in greens
(the bottom left colour only)

Steps: 1. Using the beautiful Ocean Green, shade from near the tear ducts to two thirds across the eye lid. 
 2. Then using the bright turquoise liner, colour in the rest of the one third of the lid whilst forming a small wing at the end. (If you are single lidded, then shade close to the waterline  but wide enough so the colours are visible.)


3. Using a pale, light green, shimmery eyeshadow pat onto the eyelid near the tear duct and softly blend out across one third of the lid. Also taking your Ocean green eyeliner, lightly rim the bottom of the eye towards the turquoise wing (blend it in a bit if you think the two shades look awkwardly different).


4. Put a little bit of that shimmery eyeshadow beneath the brow to emphasise it, then finish off with your usual black gel eyeliner/black eyeliner, mascara and eyebrow shadows. Tip: do not line your eyes too thick with  the black liners or else the colours won't be visible. If after you wing your eyes with eyeliner and you feel that the line does not match with the turquoise wing, then extend the turquoise out so that it is visible on top of the black eyeliner. In the photos, I only used a light mascara, but feel free to go crazy with it if you wish.

You might wonder why none of the blending actually occurs on the crease of the eye... well this look is supposed to be vibrant but still a bit light. So that you can wear this out casually to the shops or movies..etc. The higher up you extend your colour, the more this will look a bit drag queen style. That is because the bright eyeliners are very pigmented and one swipe will produce a lustrous intense colour that is why I teamed it with a very pale shimmery colour to balance. 

I hope you guys have fun trying this simple look, let me know how it goes! (: 

2 comments: