Wednesday 6 March 2013

Sydney Fish Market Excursion!

Hi guys!
Have you ever been to the Sydney Fish Market before? Who am I kidding, everyone in Sydney probably has. We've probably been dragged there when we were small or maybe some of us venture there to fulfill our tastebud's curiosity.

Anyways, I managed to drag myself out of bed extremely early today to take a little trip down to the fish market before uni started. I don't remember the last time I visited this so called famous fish zone, so the trip was new and pretty exhilarating for me. I never travelled to the fishing zone  by myself before, nor have I ever caught the Sydney Light Rail alone, but thank goodness for my multi2 pass. You beauty! Anyway, I boarded the 'tram' outside Capital Square and took it on a beautiful route pass Exhibition Centre, The Star and reached Sydney Fish Market in a matter of 15 minutes I think. After that, the little 7 minute walk to the big centre was not that hard to find since there were arrows and pointers along the way.

There were many stores selling fresh seafood catches, to casual restaurants tempting customers with a choice of fried/bbq/fresh seafood. I do not remember why I didn't take a photo of the entrance :/ . All the seafood looked really fresh, and relatively larger than the creatures sold in the local market eg Cabramatta. I spotted these prawns that were the size of my whole hand, some of them were even bigger. They were BIG ASS PRAWNS.

prawns of some sort
Salmon, sashimi
 I was craving sashimi, so I bought a slab, they sliced it and sold it by weight. This piece came down to roughly $12, which is really good value compared to sushi trains or Sushihub.
Scallop salad? I forgot & Sashimi
 What else did I find at this large sea life aquarium?
Huge King Crabs
 Aww why do all of them face away from people? Okay guilty feeling. Poor sea creatures. But they taste soo good )):: . It's not as if I have seafood on a regular basis anyways.
Red lobsters! So red they look fake!
Some takeaway for luncheonz! Half BBQ octopus in a tasty herb/lemon marinade and fried baby squid in salt/pepper/ garlic (also very tasty). I really want to replicate both dishes (: .  
Fried Squid, BBQ octopus
 Coming to the Fish markets at around 10:30 to 11am is a good time. Me likeyy!

2 comments: